List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: buildworld as someone other than root?
From:       Zach Heilig <zach () gaffaneys ! com>
Date:       1998-12-29 4:48:56

On Mon, Dec 28, 1998 at 02:59:42PM -0800, Matthew Hunt wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 28, 1998 at 02:30:02PM -0800, Paul Traina wrote:

> > Before I go beating my brains around an impossibility, has anyone ever played
> > with making at least the initial part of 'buildworld' buildable as someone
> > other than root?

> I routinely do "make buildworld" as a normal user.  I first source
> the following:

Last time I tried, there was at least one instance of a makefile explicitly
setting BINGRP (/usr/src/games/dm/Makefile), which broke non-root 'make
buildworld' for me.  I suppose adding yourself to the 'games' group isn't a
very big risk. [this also isn't very hard to "fix", but the obvious fix breaks
the reason it's there in the first place].

--
Zach Heilig (zach@gaffaneys.com)