List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: The new bootloader - how do you set it up?
From:       Chuck Robey <chuckr () mat ! net>
Date:       1998-10-31 3:05:26

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > > 2nd: I tried your suggested procedure, typing /boot/loader, at the boot
> > > prompt.  Tried it first with an aout kernel, then with an elf kernel.
> > > Same thing happens either time, it hangs immediately after printing
> > >
> > > symbols=[0x0,040,0x0
> > >
> > > That's precisely where it stops (hangs).  Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Whoops, hang on a sec.  Does it print the text/data stuff first?
>
> Are you *sure* it printed 0x0,040,0x0?  It should have printed
> 0x0,0x4,0x0.

I'm sorry, I fatfingered it, it really printed symbols=[0x0,0x4,0x0
and that was after the text/data stuff.  It died precisely there, tho,
not one extra comma, even.  I could go back and handcopy all the data if
it's of use ... is it?

OK, I went and did the size on /boot/loader, it gave me:

ROOT:/boot:129 >env OBJFORMAT=aout size loader
text    data    bss     dec     hex
4096    73728   0       77824   13000

This seems to indicate to me that my installed /boot/loader is ok, but
I'm willing to rebuild/reinstall it.  Does it have to be an aout
executeable (how shall I set OBJFORMAT for the make clean depend all
install in /sys/boot?)

Or is there something else I should try, to get a good test of the
/boot/loader?  Could it be the fact that my /modules are completely
empty?

> If I remember correctly, we saw this with very out-of-date bootblocks.
> You can update to the most recent "old" bootblocks with simply
> "disklabel -B <dev>'.
>
> --
> \\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith
> \\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  mike@smith.net.au
> \\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msmith@cdrom.com

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).