List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Quantum bigfoot 12Gig
From:       Julian <julian () ivision ! co ! uk>
Date:       1998-03-30 13:18:51

I think that this is the right list, rather than 'filesystems', apologies
if this is off topic.  Apologies also for the length of this email, but
it would be pointless without the associated details.

I have recently purchased a Quantum Bigfoot 12Gig drive, I admit that I
was careless, and assumed that the drive would just work under FreeBSD.
The problem appears to be that the number of cylinders is greater than
FreeBSD 2.2.2 will cope with.  I can if necessary upgrade to 2.2.5
although don't really want to unless that will actually resolve the
problem.

Disklabel from Quantum bigfoot
# /dev/rwd2:
type: ESDI
disk: wd2s1
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 16
sectors/cylinder: 1008
cylinders: 23361
sectors/unit: 23547888
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 23547888        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 23360)

>From the in core copy
# /dev/rwd2:
type: unknown
disk:
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 16
sectors/cylinder: 1008
cylinders: 16383
sectors/unit: 16514064
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

3 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 16514064        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 16382)

Note that the cylinders are where the 'main' difference appears to lie.  I
have manually set my bios to the 'correct' figures, but if I let it autodetect
then it gives the figures that FreeBSD comes up with.  This is an exclusively
FreeBSD system, and I don't need it to work with DOS, or any other OS.  I
do not need to boot off this disk.  It is just there for storage purposes.

I want/need to be able to use 12G of the disk, and not just the 8 that is on
offer.  I will keep playing, but on and off I have spent a week on this, and
thus far to no avail.

Julian
Unix Admin, Internet Vision