List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Distributed systems/processing using FreeBSD
From:       njs3 () doc ! ic ! ac ! uk (Niall Smart)
Date:       1997-10-31 19:33:30

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any pointers to information or comments
on using FreeBSD as the base operating system on which to build some
infrastructure useful in distributed systems/processing.

I am currently looking at a number of projects for my final year project
in college, and should be deciding on one soon.  Two of them really
belong in an operating system kernel and therefore hopefully merit some
discussion here:

 - distributed filesystem; a high performance (intelligent caching and
   replication of data), secure (authentication and encryption),
   heterogenous and hopefully relatively lightweight distributed
   filesystem with conventional filesystem semantics (distributed locking)
   (By lightweight I mean that it should be easy to setup and use,
   hopefully as straightforward as plain old NFS)

 - a library of useful communication primitives for distributed parallel
   processing, e.g. distributed shared memory, distributed semaphores

Also, if anyone else is working on similar areas or would like to do
some stress/beta testing I'd be interested in hearing from them too.

Yours sincerely,

Niall Smart