List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: LKM Interface
From:       Stefan Esser <se () FreeBSD ! ORG>
Date:       1997-10-31 17:49:37

On 1997-10-30 19:40 -0800, John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org> wrote:
> > Wow.. I didn't realize that this was in current already. :)  How do I
> > go about converting my PCI device driver to use it?  Also, are there
>
> well.. basicly look at the definition of DECLARE_MODULE.. only problem
> is that I don't know if the pci bus code can rescan the bus for "new"
> drivers as they loaded...

PCI LKM support has been in -current for quite some time (I
think I added it one year ago), but I temporarily removed it,
when I completely rewrote the PCI code.

If you need it, it is easy to put back. The API was that the
PCI LKM just called

	pci_register_lkm(struct pci_device *p, int rev)

with the parameter of the DATA_SET and rev=0.

The rescan was automatically performed from within that LKM
registration function.

Sorry, I'm in a hurry, now. If there is any need for PCI LKM
support, I may be able to put back that feature over the weekend.

I also prepared a simple shell script that could be run from
/etc/rc and which searched for PCI devices that had no driver
compiled in, and tried to modload the corresponding driver
(actually used for one ATM card driver, so far).

Check the -hackers mail archive about one year back for some
more information, the announcement and some discussion on the
topic of PCI LKMs.

Regards, STefan