List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Bisdn port - would a change to 'config' be a good idea?
From:       Eivind Eklund <eivind () bitbox ! follo ! net>
Date:       1997-09-29 16:19:54

On Mon, Sep 29, 1997 at 05:38:55PM +0200, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 1997 at 04:24:18PM +0200, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 29, 1997 at 08:49:30AM +0200, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> > > On Mon, Sep 29, 1997 at 01:51:51AM +0200, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> > >
> > > This is right. We should synchronize that with Jörg ...
> > > Optimal would be, that only the questionable modules can
> > > be replaced easily.
> >
> > This would AFAIR only require changes to the wayfutile
> > sys/${machine}/conf/files.${machine} and sys/conf/files is handled,
> > allowing a way of looking for files other places, and scanning an
> > extra file for them.  Do you see anything more that actually require
> > patching?
>
> Well, here a list of files and necessary changes (for -current):
> [ the +indicates simply one line more ]
>
> 1. sys/conf/files:
>
> 	+bisdn/b_disdn.c         optional disdn device-driver
> 	+bisdn/b_isdn.c          optional isdn device-driver
> 	+bisdn/b_isdnipi.c       optional ipi device-driver
> 	+bisdn/b_isdnlap.c       optional disdn device-driver
> 	+bisdn/b_isdntel.c       optional ispy device-driver
> 	+bisdn/b_isdntel.c       optional itel device-driver
> 	+bisdn/b_isdntty.c       optional ity device-driver
> 	+net/slcompress.c        optional ipi

This should preferably go into a separate file, to allow cvsup to
update the .  To do this, we would need some way to tell config that
there are extra files it should look at - possibly by an extra option
in the config file.  This would allow building of bisdn and similar
kernel additions without modifying the normal kernel files at all.

> 2. sys/i386/conf/files.i386:
[actual changes deleted as irrelevant to the discussion]
> 3. sys/i386/conf/options.i386:
[actual changes deleted as irrelevant to the discussion]

Same for the changes to these files.

> 4. update LINT
[actual changes deleted as irrelevant to the discussion]

These are not positively required, just a convenience.  They are
required for the actual kernel config used to build a kernel with ISDN
support, of course.

> 5. make the necessary changes in MKDEV script, so that the following
>    devices are created:

Could be done by the port directly.  Not as clean for integration into
the system, but nice to avoid mixup between contributions and the base
system.

Eivind.