List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: CVS permissions after checkout
From:       John Polstra <jdp () polstra ! com>
Date:       1997-09-29 14:55:30

In article <19970929091641.ZL20420@uriah.heep.sax.de>,
J Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de> wrote:

> Oh, no longer the missing group write permissions iff the file
> creation missed them?  That is great!

That's right -- as long as you have a umask of 002 or something like
that (00x) when you do your CVSup updates.  Also, the server you are
updating from has to have at least version 15.2 for this feature to
work.

It should have been that way all along.  But I started out with the
strange idea that if a user changed the permissions of some of his
files, then CVSup should honor that and not change them back.  Several
people complained (nicely) about that, and I became convinced that
they were right.

Starting with the version 15.2, CVSup maintains this condition for
each file:

    (client's modes & ~umask) == (server's modes & ~umask)

where "umask" is that of the client.