List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Final request for help with release.  (DPT boot floppy)
From:       Terry Lambert <terry () lambert ! org>
Date:       1997-08-22 18:07:13

> I have also seen mysterious lockups (for a few seconds) with Solaris
> x86 when I bombarded more than two twin-channel controllers (Adaptec
> 3940W/UW) with lots of requests.  FreeBSD had no problems whatsoever.

This is probably a PCI issue.  Most Intel PCI bridges do not
correctly arbitrate between more than two bus mastering PCI
devices simultaneously.

Stefan posted about this a while back.

I think there's a newer chipset that actually supports any number
of devices (up to the number of slots, anyway), but I don't remember
the name of the thing off the top of my head.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.