List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: NCR 810 fatal errors during install. (desperate plea)
From:       Terry Lambert <terry () lambert ! org>
Date:       1997-08-15 16:11:59

> However, the Handbook section on hardware seems to suggest there's a
> problem with the arbiter in the Neptune chipset. My BIOS setup (it's a
> phoenix BIOS) has an option called "PCI Arbiter". It's currently set to
> System Default, and has a big red warning on it saying it is dangerous to
> change if you don't know what you're doing, but it may be what we need.
> Do you have any idea what I should set it to? The options it has are
> System Default, Pure Rotating, and one for each master (i.e., CPU,
> Built-In SCSI, ISA Bus, PCI Slot 2 and PCI Slot 3).

The bus arbitration on Netptune and similar chipsets could only
arbitrate between two bus master PCI devices, and would become
confused if you had more.  This is well documented.

> Any advice on what to try here, if at all it would help, or should I just
> do trial and error?

My advice is "change nothing until you talk to someone who will be
able to tell you the consequences of the change, preferrably the
board manufacturer".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---