List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Question about Cisco 2503i price
From:       "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie () TransSys ! COM>
Date:       1996-08-01 3:06:16

> >The 2503i is a mission critical version, it directly includes the software,
> >which disables the serial port. You can later buy the full version ($1200
> >list price) to upgrade and use the serial ports.
>
> Does that include the (required) memory upgrade?
>
> So your talking $3000. for a box with 2 serial ports, an ISDN connection
> and a '386-speed processor? Eeek!

Two T1 ports, ISDN, support for T1 PPP, Cisco HDLC, Frame Relay and
SMDS.  Packet filtering.  OSPF, RIP, RIP-2, EIGRP, BGP routing
protocols (if you need them).  Look at the 2524 which has provisions
for integral 56K DDS or T1 CSU/DSUs to further reduce the system cost.

Plus, you can plug it in and it works.  No interrupt vectors, dma
channels to fool with.  Small package.  Only a fan for moving parts,
and no fsck.

Not everyone is willing to spend a lot of time integrating a box when
you can essentially buy an appliance off the shelf which does a better
job.  Are we going to start this whole discussion again?

louie