List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: anyone working on upgrading the msdosfs to NetBSD levels?
From:       Robert Nordier <rnordier () iafrica ! com>
Date:       1996-08-01 23:25:57

Terry Lambert wrote:

[...]

(Still digesting other comments. :)

> I can't help with the Unicode stuff given the current state of the BSD
> VFS; my suggestion is to punt, and treat the high byte as zero in all
> cases, converting it to ISO-8859-1 (Latin 1).  This will damage utility
> for anyone outside the Latin 1 scope, but that can't be helped without
> the underlying VFS changes (appologies to non-Latin 1 using countries
> up front).

Agreed.  For completeness, any thoughts on how to handle the
following?

Directory containing 3 single-character DOS filenames 0xc3..0xc5:

   SFN   LFN
   c3    251c
   c4    2500
   c5    253c

AFAIK, DOS filenames containing characters >= 0x80 have never been
much used, or had much practical value.  So extensive special
provision for them almost seems misplaced.

--
Robert Nordier