List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Ethernet-like loopback & IPX
From:       dennis () etinc ! com (Dennis)
Date:       1996-07-30 22:02:21

Terry writes...

>> While you may believe that the single address per IPX host is an
>> error, it is fundamental to the protocol's design.  I wouldn't
>> characterize changing this as "fixing" it, unless it's the same way a
>> veteranarian "fixes" something.
>
>You are mistaken.
>
>Probably, you don't know about "internal net addresses", which were
>introduced in NetWare 3.x.
>
>Each NetWare server from 3.x onward (and thus each router) has the
>concept of an internal net address.  This is basically an internal
>virtual network interface.

This is true, as long as the "address" that you chose is not the same
as one of the cards in the box. Netware server's have their own network
address, which makes routing more sane.

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX