List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: 2.1.5R sysinstall comments
From:       "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh () time ! cdrom ! com>
Date:       1996-07-30 8:39:50

> MULTI-USER SYSINSTALL DISK/PARTITION PROBLEM:
>
> The second time I installed, it was because my first disk appeared to
> be getting corrupted. So I installed a second SCSI drive along with
> the first and ran sysinstall from multiuser. Answered the questions,
> and told it to label the partitions, which generated a core
> dump. Tried again and didn't label them, did the COMMIT, and it

Hmmmm.  Bleah. :-( I have about 2 problems like this on my "to look
at" queue, I've simply been saving them for the end since it kind of
involves sacrificing a box during the debugging, and that takes time.

> RESTART WANTED:
>
> While downloading, my !#$@ing ISP dropped my PPP link. The download
> failed. I had to start from ground-zero. This is really painful at
> 28.8. It would be really cool if you could say "RESTART" on some menu,

Unfortunately, the intermediate files never touch your disk (and this
makes certain minimal installs even possible) - keeping a checkpoint
file wouldn't do me a lot of good, except perhaps to avoid extracting
what was already extracted?  You'd still need to restart the transfer
at the beginning anyway, so it wouldn't save you anything where you
want it most.

> SAVED INSTALL CONFIG WANTED:
>
> I'd really like it if when you say COMMIT, it wrote a little config
> file to disk which said what partitions were where, what the network
> config parameters were, what packages were requested for
> installation. This way, if the install fails, you can start over (or
> restart!) without having to go through all the specifications again.

Yeah, that's been on my wish list for awhile.. :-) My real problem is
that I'm basically Really Sick of sysinstall and adding nifty little
features like this goes pretty low on my priority list.  It's not that
I don't think they're good investments of time (and I occasionally
rouse myself enough to add some little goodie, like the transfer rate
hack), I've just spent too damn much time looking at that code.  It
could really use a fresh pair of eyes or three. :-)

> PORTS CD/DIR CONFUSED, NO CANCEL OPTION:
>
> After sysinstalling, one of the menus asks if I want to install some
> ports. I said yes, and it told me that I need to insert CDROM-2; kinda
> difficult when I'm installing over PPP :-). I hit CONTINUE, cuz that's

Hmmmm!  That's really... Unique...  I'll see if I can reproduce it.

					Jordan