List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Union mounts and other mounts
From:       Doug Rabson <dfr () render ! com>
Date:       1996-07-25 18:42:10

On Thu, 25 Jul 1996, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <199607251559.KAA00163@dyson.iquest.net>, "John S. Dyson" writes:
> >> Terry, are you out there?
> >>
> >> Please upload your mega patches.  I'm sure someone will take a look and
> >> maybe we can at least start with getting the locks fixed.
> >>
> >I want to consider including Terry's stuff.  Even though I do filesystem
> >hacking from time to time, I think that we need to get agreement from
> >other's (on the team) on the changes.  The changes have significant
> >architectural implications.
> >
> >At least, in certain areas, Terry is on the right track...  We need to
> >get consensus on the changes.  The last batch of changes don't fix all
> >of the problems, and Jeffery Hsu's stuff should be reviewed and appropriately
> >included also.  I actually think that we are stagnating in this area a "little
> >bit."  But again, I don't feel qualified to make wholesale changes in that
> >(the VFS) section of the kernel, without agreement from others...  Anybody
> >have any ideas on this impasse?
>
> I agree.
>
> Jeff's changes have higher priority for me than Terrys, because they
> bring us closer to the codebase Kirk is hacking away on, and he has
> some nice things brewing too.

Is Kirk going to attack some of the same issues as Terry is talking about?
To improve my own understanding of the interface, I just started writing
manpages for the VFS entry points and VOP_LOOKUP makes me feel ill :-).

Does anyone else have any documentation on our VFS interface?  Does anyone
feel like reviewing my efforts?

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 251 4411