List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: anyone working on upgrading the msdosfs to NetBSD levels?
From:       Robert Nordier <rnordier () iafrica ! com>
Date:       1996-07-22 19:50:10

Charles Green wrote:

> Robert Nordier stands accused of saying:
> } Date: Jul 22, 20:08
> } Subject: Re: anyone working on upgrading the msdosfs to NetBSD levels?
> } Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> } >
> } > I think Robert Nordier is working on a complete re-write, actually.
> } > How's that going, Robert?
> } >
> } > 					Jordan
> } >
> }
> } The FAT fs primitives are done and tested and I'm currently working
> } on VFAT support.
> }
> } Microsoft is shortly to be introducing a FAT32 filesystem to Windows
> } 95 which will increase maximum filesystem size from 2 (or 4, for
> } NT) gigabytes to 2 terabytes.  The new filesystem makes use of
> } 32-bit (as opposed to 12-bit and 16-bit) FAT entries and will
> } require a fundamentally different handling of boot record, FATs,
> } and root directory, so I'm busy on provision for this also.
> }
> } The changes required for FAT32 support would probably be rather
> } difficult to graft onto the msdosfs at this stage: possibly another
> } factor supporting the decision to re-implement DOS/Win filesystem
> } support on FreeBSD.
> }
> } FAT32 is supposedly due for public release in the fall.  I'm
> } currently working towards a similar release date for the new
> } filesystem.
> }
> } --
> } Robert Nordier
> }-- End of excerpt from Robert Nordier
>

>         How soon will we see the integration of at least the FAT fs support
> into -current?

I wasn't actually planning to release FAT fs-only support separately,
since FAT32 support, in particular, requires a fundamentally different,
mostly more flexible, approach at a number of levels; and I'd rather
have it there at the start.

I don't think there's very much deep interest, among most FreeBSD
hackers, in the unsavory technical details of DOS/Win filesystems.
So it seems to make most sense to release the vfatfs as functionally
complete as possible, rather than as work in progress.

Anyway, that's how I've been looking at it.

--
Robert Nordier