List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: anyone working on upgrading the msdosfs to NetBSD levels?
From:       Charles Green <green () fang ! cs ! sunyit ! edu>
Date:       1996-07-22 18:52:04

Robert Nordier stands accused of saying:
} Date: Jul 22, 20:08
} Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
} >
} > I think Robert Nordier is working on a complete re-write, actually.
} > How's that going, Robert?
} >
} > 					Jordan
} >
}
} The FAT fs primitives are done and tested and I'm currently working
} on VFAT support.
}
} Microsoft is shortly to be introducing a FAT32 filesystem to Windows
} 95 which will increase maximum filesystem size from 2 (or 4, for
} NT) gigabytes to 2 terabytes.  The new filesystem makes use of
} 32-bit (as opposed to 12-bit and 16-bit) FAT entries and will
} require a fundamentally different handling of boot record, FATs,
} and root directory, so I'm busy on provision for this also.
}
} The changes required for FAT32 support would probably be rather
} difficult to graft onto the msdosfs at this stage: possibly another
} factor supporting the decision to re-implement DOS/Win filesystem
} support on FreeBSD.
}
} FAT32 is supposedly due for public release in the fall.  I'm
} currently working towards a similar release date for the new
} filesystem.
}
} --
} Robert Nordier
}-- End of excerpt from Robert Nordier

        How soon will we see the integration of at least the FAT fs support
into -current?

--
Charles Green, PRC Inc.			      Research & Development
Rome Laboratory, NY