List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Ethernet-like loopback & IPX
From:       "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin () hq ! icb ! chel ! su>
Date:       1996-07-22 2:19:19

I have written an Ethernet-like loopback driver. All its interfaces
are "connected" to the same virtual Ethernet. The idea is to add
the link-level raw socket interface and use it to implement network
access from the MS-DOS emulator. It must look like:

  |                    Virtual internal LAN
  +---- Unix router ------------------------- DOS emulator

Real LAN

It is useful also for experiments with network protocols if you have
no real network (like me at home).  Is anyone interested in it?

By the way, I have fixed the bug (in my opinion) in IPX. It allowed
only one link-level (i.e. Ethernet) address for all interfaces.
Was it a real bug or feature ?

-SB