List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: "login classes"
From:       Michael Hancock <michaelh () cet ! co ! jp>
Date:       1996-07-15 1:32:49

On Sun, 14 Jul 1996, Nate Williams wrote:

> > Well, I was a Busy Boy today.  While doing some other task%, I decided to
> > start implementing login classes for FreeBSD.
>
> Do you have a better description of them other than 'allowing you to use
> separate authention'?  It seems I've heard lots of folks 'wish' for them
> in different contexts, so I'm not exactly sure *what* they do at any
> level, other than they can do many things. :)

You can have classes of users that ...

	* have different resource limits
	* have different authentication methods

I could probably think of more things, but I thought the mechanism for
providing different authentication methods was pretty cool.

It's a good step towards providing the facility, but Unix login will
someday be obsolete and a general authentication layer should be designed
such that you could plug in different methods without doing a lot of
rewriting.

-mike hancock