List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Pentium gcc port done
From:       Rob Mallory <rmallory () wiley ! csusb ! edu>
Date:       1996-01-31 23:55:11

> > Has anyone dare to build the stock gcc with this compiler and
> > then do a make world. I seem to recollect that Rob Mallory
> > <rmallory@wiley.csusb.edu> stated that the stock gcc recompiled
> > with the pentium gcc seems to be smaller and run faster...

...Dont make world with i2.7.0 (mine) or 2.7.2pl6!!
it may get preaty far along, but as I mentioned in my previous post,
the current state is not too reliable, and produces bogus code
at some points.   ...trust me, I've done more than a few make worlds,
and xfree86 builds with pentium/gcc compilers.

[xfree servers with igcc dont work well (only once successfulhere )
 but some of the libraries work well and bennefit a bit.]

libmsun is one that I deem "igcc safe" and shows significant perf increase.
libc is also somewhat safe if you spend some time 'babying' the compile,
and ajust compile options.

in the kernel, vm stuff is dangerous, scsi/io stuff is ok, many device
drivers are sensitive. The only benchmarks I got at one time (that I
took the time to try) were disk IO.

The compile time speedup (i saw with i270(272p is slower)) was equivilant
to the recent -pipe improvement done by john (nice work btw!).

I might drop my i2.7.2 patch ball on ftp://tns.csusb.edu later tonight,
but I think the i270 stuff is faster, even though it breaks more things.
_if you have a pentium and dont want to mess with the gcc's but want to
_test mpeg_play, or xv, just grab those.

-Rob   [rmallory@csusb.edu/rmallory@Qualcomm.com]