List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Swapping (was Re: Good news -- pipe stuff)
From:       Nate Williams <nate () sri ! MT ! net>
Date:       1996-01-31 22:13:07

> Another thing to look into, although I don't have a benchmark on this, but
> FreeBSD has a nasty tendency to "bind" during heavy VM/disk activity.  I
> don't know if this is because the IDE driver is CPU intensive, or if this
> affects people (to a lesser extent) with SCSI drives.

This is an IDE thing.  Basically, the system must uses lots more CPU and
is much less effecient than using the SCSI drivers.

> It's just that when
> the system starts paging out to disk, activity in other windows freezes up
> too.

There's nothing else the system can do when it's swapping. :)

> Speaking of VM, I set up a system with only 8MB of RAM running FreeBSD,
> and even though we made a 24MB swap partition, occasionally it fills up.
> Both boxes are running 2.1.0-RELEASE.  If it is not too difficult, I
> would be REALLY grateful if we could add functionality to add swapfiles
> and swap partitions to a running system.

You can.  See 'man vnconfig'.

> Even better would be the
> ability to remove the swapfile without rebooting.  Linux (and most
> SVR4's) have had this functionality for a LONG time.

Are you *SURE* you can remove it w/out rebooting on Linux.  AFAIK, it's
not possible, although I do know my Solaris box can delete swapfiles
(although I have yet to have an occasion to do so, since the Solaris box
always wants more swap than I have disk space. :)

Nate