List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Trying initial boot of FreeBSD (main so: 15) of Ryzen 9 7950X3D on an ASUS Prime X670-P WIFI: va
From:       Paul Floyd <paulf2718 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-11-12 12:49:49

On 12-11-23 11:35, Daniel Engberg wrote:

> The MSI board looks decent I guess, the x16/x4/x2 layout isn't great but
> it's not horrible either depending on your use case. Never looked into
> their lineup due to lack of a decent builtin NIC. You can get a separate
> one but it's still an additional cost and takes of at least one PCIe slot.
>
> ASRock boards in general appears to be a bit rough around the edges
> (both hardware design and BIOS) especially low-mid range models, their
> premium tiers gets great reviews though. I would really think twice
> about getting a board with only one slot that has more lanes than 1x in
> terms of "full size" PCIe slots and you're again stuck with the Realtek NIC.
>
> As you said, the Asus board is pretty much like the MSI one however I
> don't see why you'd go for that over the TUF Gaming X670E-Plus which is
> pretty much the same board with some very minor changes such as no
> optical output (quite a bit cheaper though).
>
> The ProArt board also has a HDMI output? :-)
> https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/motherboards/proart/proart-x670e-creator-wifi/ \
> <https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/motherboards/proart/proart-x670e-creator-wifi

My desk has a shelf with a scanner on it, so not much space for the
monitor (I have thought about sawing off 10cm from the shelf so that
there would be space for a 27" monitor). When I work from home with a
Dell Windows laptop I usually use the hdmi socket. I suppose I could get
a miniDP-DP cable instead.

I don't tend to have big RAM or networking requirements. The main things
are decent speed, recent ISA (esp things like avx512 and preferably on
the metal) and probably a fair number of disks. In the past I've
partitioned disks for OSes but these days I usually have one boot disk
per OS and then a few data disks. Right now I have about 400G of data on
my zfs disks, mostly VBox VM images.

I'll have another think about the ProArt and peruse the TUF Gaming
X670E-Plus.

A+
Paul