List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Receive Side Coalescing(RSC) and LRO
From:       Wei Hu <weh () microsoft ! com>
Date:       2022-02-08 15:32:15

Hi,

I am trying to find the term that FreeBSD uses for the network offloading feature \
like RSC. RSC is Microsoft's term which is essentially the same as LRO in Linux, in \
which the packet aggregation happens on the hardware NIC.

The LRO on FreeBSD seems different. It looks to be the GRO in Linux, in which the \
packet aggregation happens in software above the NIC driver.  There is a feature bit \
IFCAP_LRO in net/if.h.

So, is there a different feature bit on FreeBSD which means only for the hardware \
RSC/LRO? Or does the IFCAP_LRO mean both hardware and software LRO? What I want to \
achieve is to let user disable the hardware RSC/LRO and leave software LRO untouched \
on FreeBSD. What is the proper way to differentiate these two on FreeBSD?

Thanks,
Wei