List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Research question
From:       Eric McCorkle <eric () metricspace ! net>
Date:       2021-01-02 15:27:12

All,

I'm doing some background literature review relating to microkernel
designs and highly-concurrent programming models.  The KSE API was one
of the primary examples of an activation-style threading API, before it
was ultimately abandoned due to the problems that arose.  I'm interested
in tracking down sources, like reports, discussions, or possibly
testimonies from people who were involved that talk specifically about
the nature of those problems.

I'm aware of the overall design and the sources describing it; the sense
I got from some old email threads of the problems it that they were
mostly related to mismatches between the programming models that would
benefit most from that style of activation and the POSIX thread/signal
semantics.

If anyone is aware of sources that go into greater detail and could
point me to them, it would help me out a great deal.