List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: llvm and mips64
From:       tech-lists <tech-lists () zyxst ! net>
Date:       2020-08-26 20:56:26

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 08:44:26PM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:

>On -current, gcc was removed from base, so the only choices left are to
>use clang in base and gcc from ports.
>
>On stable/12 and stable/11, clang is only enabled for aarch64, amd64,
>arm, i386 and riscv (on 12). You will have to use base gcc or gcc from ports.

ok, that's useful info

>Import what? If you mean clang/llvm 11, I will MFC it in about 6 weeks,
>provided the ports people don't kill me first. ;-)

;)

>If you want to attempt building 12-stable with clang, you will probably
>have to use an external toolchain for bootstrapping, and set
>MK_CLANG=yes, MK_CLANG_BOOTSTRAP=yes and MK_CLANG_IS_CC=yes in your
>src.conf, before building world. Then you should be able toinstall that
>world into your poudriere jail.

it's way outside of my expertise to set up external bootstrapping, so I'll
either make a -current vm and put a poudriere in there, or i'll wait.

>Won't what? Work, compile, install? I am unsure if there are any
>pre-built packages available for mips64, but I would look for them, if
>at all possible.

in mips64 lots of ports are skipped because of dependency on gcc[4-11] which will
not build on mips64, error for gcc any version is:

"is only for aarch64 amd64 arm armv6 armv7 i386 powerpc powerpc64 sparc64,
while you are running mips64"

thanks,
--
J.