List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Unable to run FreeBSD 12.1 on Skylake Processor (QEMU)
From:       Dhananjay V <workmail.dhananjayv () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-07-18 7:20:15

I have been trying to run FreeBSD 12.1 on a Skylake processor using QEMU,
but when I try to boot the OS, it shows a kernel panic, along with the
message *' Unregistered use of FPU in kernel'. *The command I used to start
the VM is :

qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu Skylake-Client -hda
> FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64.qcow2 -m 8192  -smp 1  -net
> user,hostfwd=tcp::10022-:22 -net nic --monitor stdio

*The same disk image works perfectly if I do not include the -cpu
Skylake-Client in the command.* This issue also occurs if I try to install
FreeBSD while including the -cpu flag during initialization of the VM.

What's the solution to this problem?

ᐧ