List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: routed && route6d removal proposal
From:       Eugene Grosbein <eugen () grosbein ! net>
Date:       2020-06-24 17:48:15

24.06.2020 15:20, Alexander V. Chernikov wrote:

> Different people have different opinions :-)
> Let me rephrase the point I'm trying to make: RIP original design was created a \
> long time ago. The current landscape is different: there are multiple protocols \
> that are superset of RIP. There are multiple implementations of these protocols \
> that are easily available. The configuration is not non-zero, but simple. Even \
> further, more and more want their protocol daemon to have an api - and that makes \
> implementations like goBGP extremely popular, moving people from "traditional" \
> routing suites/daemons. With all that in mind, I see RIP popularity and usage going \
> in only one direction.

Btw, I do use RIPv2 in production these days (but with ripd, not routed) and I have \
several reasons to do so.

First, RIPv2 is distance-vector protocol and has some advantages over OSPF for \
small-diameter but geographically distributed network (dictinct cities \
inter-connected with tunnels) as it does not require existence of "inseparable" \
backbone. RIPv2 offers richer ways to route filtering and/or preferring that you can \
achieve with OSPF only if you create distinct area for each router :-)

Next, with years I came to decision running both OSPF and RIPv2 in parallel without \
route redistribution. This doubles my work initially at configuration stage but \
provides me with some protection against software failures. I can easily stop, debug \
and restart one of routing daemons while another one still runs so network has \