List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Cross compile FreeBSD on amd64 for arm64 failes via compile determination error
From:       "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg () gndrsh ! dnsmgr ! net>
Date:       2020-06-08 15:03:02

> > On 6 Jun 2020, at 19:26, Mark Murray <markm@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > I never tried this with anything other than i386/i386 or amd64/amd64,
> > so the above is interesting. Could a viable cross-build* be "fixed" by
> > symlinks, and somehow and easily forcing a cross-build of the bootstrap
> > tools?
> >
> > My RPis wish to know :-)
>
> I've done 'make installworld DESTDIR=/tmp/armdest' on the fast machine then copied \
> it over with tar to the slow one and it seemed to work OK.
> Being able to installworld with src/obj NFS mounted would be nice though.

Idea: It would be nice if we could do what you just did, then export
/tmp/armdest via NFS, then on arm system mount host:/tmp/armdest /tmp/armdest
and the src and obj trees.  And then somehow run a make installworld \
TOOLSDIR=/tmp/armdest, this would solve your problem with what I believe to be a very \
mininmal change/enhancement to the make system.