List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Adding white_dune to FreeBSD ports collection ?
From:       Theron Tarigo <theron () freebsd ! org>
Date:       2019-10-13 0:55:46

On 2019-10-04 09:13, J. Scheurich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to ask, if it is possible to add white_dune (wdune) to the
> FreeBSD ports collection.
Anything that can be made to work on FreeBSD is possible to add to the
ports collection, as long as someone is willing to write the port and a
ports committer is able to review it.

> white_dune 0.28 (0.30?) was part of the ports collection, but the
> current version is 1.456.
Why was it removed?  No maintainer?

> There is already a binary distribution for FreeBSD 12.0 on the website
>
> https://wdune.ourproject.org/
Building from source inside the port is preferable (better chance of
binary compatibility, possibility of multiple architectures, easier to
debug, etc.).

> but it has been built with
>
> wdune-*/packager/freebsd/mkpkg.sh / "pkg create"
In order to be a part of the ports tree the package itself needs to be
assembled in the standard way from the port, not directly created by the
port's own build system, which is not a normal practice.

Are you the developer of this application?  It is unclear to me from the
website.

freebsd-ports@ is the usual list for this sort of discussion.

Theron