List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: crashinfo doesn't support compressed crashdumps - which way forward?
From:       Alexander Leidinger <Alexander () leidinger ! net>
Date:       2018-07-21 17:15:53

This message is in MIME format and has been PGP signed.

Quoting Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org> (from Thu, 12 Jul 2018
14:35:57 -0400):

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 09:09:02AM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:

>> Yes, here's the patch for 2 which has been tested.  4) is pretty hard
>> to do in practice as you have to basically decompress into RAM when
>> reading the core to do anything useful as opposed to a format that
>> only compressed certain parts (e.g. if the page tables were not
>> compressed only the payload in a minidump, and if it were compressed
>> on some kind of block boundaries so that you could locate a given
>> block and decompress it when reading specific data).  Coming up with
>> such a format would be more useful but requires more work.
>
> That patch looks ok to me, FWIW.  As I pointed out, it's easy enough to
> just disable crashinfo if one doesn't want the extraction to take place.

Hi John,

what about committing this patch?
If you are too busy, do you mind if I commit it?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net Alexander@Leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF