List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    PCIe transaction size
From:       Hartmut Brandt <hartmut.brandt () dlr ! de>
Date:       2017-10-21 14:08:57

Hi all,

I'm designing a FPGA board that has memory that is accessible via the PCIe
bus from FreeBSD. I observed, that the host always splits the memory
transactions on 8 byte boundaries. So reading or storing an 128-bit
integer generates two transactions, if the integer is unaligned even four.

Is there a way to get the CPU or chipset or whoever produces the
transactions to make larger transactions? I found an Intel paper that
seems to talk about this (How to Implement a 64B PCIe Burst Transfer or
Intel Architecture) but I've no idea how to do what they write on FreeBSD
:-).

Any help?

harti