List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Linuxulator / Chrome
From:       Mark Saad <nonesuch () longcount ! org>
Date:       2017-06-03 20:07:18

---
Mark Saad | nonesuch@longcount.org
> On Jun 3, 2017, at 10:20 AM, Mason Loring Bliss <mason@blisses.org> wrote:
>
> [Posted to freebsd-questions last night, but there's probably a better
> chance of someone having done this here.]
>

> Hi all. Will Chrome work on Linuxulator if I chase down enough dependencies?

I don't see why not . But you will need to get the alsa/oss parts working . I would \
check out cooltrainer

https://cooltrainer.org/a-freebsd-desktop-howto/

Th sections on Skype audio are going to come in handy .

> I'm trying to get BlueJeans running, and it's balking in both Firefox and
> Chromium on FreeBSD (11-STABLE) so I figured I'd give Chrome under the
> Linuxulator a try. I hit several missing libraries until I realized I needed
> to install the whole linux-c6 (also tried linux-c7) suite.

If you have qemu you can try this . Create a new vm with a raw disk , boot up qemu \
with the centos 6 DVD do a ext4 disk setup with out lvm and a full desktop install . \
Then from qemu and that install try to get chrome working .Power off the vm .Then \
once done using mdconfig attach the raw disk and mount it and copy that into a local \
dir for use as your Linux base . The. Give chrome a try . While involved it worked \
int the past for some app I had to deal with .

> Once that was done, I hit this:
>
> ./chrome: error while loading shared libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: cannot
>
> We don't seem to have a package for it.
>
> I tried running ldd to see what other libraries I'd need, but the ldd in
> /compat bailed out, saying "missing file". I suspect it's not intended to be
> used, as it has /bin/bash in the shebang line. The native LDD was unhappy
> with the Chrome binary.
>
> I've now pulled out a list of libraries from a Linux machine where I could
> run ldd, and I can collect the libraries by hand from Linux to populate
> /compat, but I'm really interested in knowing if anyone's gotten Chrome
> working this way, or if I'll run into known obstacles once I have all the
> libraries in place.
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> Mason Loring Bliss            mason@blisses.org            http://blisses.org/
> The sand bats of Manark IV look like inanimate rock crystals until they attack.

---
Mark Saad | nonesuch@longcount.org