List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: problem attaching driver at LPC bus
From:       Ravi Pokala <rpokala () mac ! com>
Date:       2016-08-24 7:58:27

-----Original Message-----
From: "karu.pruun" <karu.pruun@gmail.com>
Date: 2016-08-24, Wednesday at 00:49
To: Ravi Pokala <rpokala@mac.com>
Cc: Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" \
                <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>

> Hi Ravi
>
> Thanks for these suggestions. I'll study the spec and try implement this. Question: \
> the XXX_base in bus_set_resource --- did you find this address from the spec? I \
> suppose in my case this is the one I see in the acpi tables, 0x0700.

Yes, I got them from the specs. For the embedded controller, the chipset spec defined \
which registers in the bridge to look at, which held the LPC address of the embedded \
GPIO controller. For the discrete controller, the controller spec documented a \
default and an alternate LPC address, and the BIOS developers told us which one they \
used.

> Another question: on my naive thinking, the acpi subsystem scans the acpi tables \
> and populates the entries in the device tree, setting aside the address ranges (IO \
> and mem) for which there is no driver. The handle items in the tree (e.g. \
> \_SB_.PCI0.LPCB.GMUX) look very similar to the ones in the acpi tables. So I \
> thought the driver then later claims these resource using the bus_alloc_resource(). \
> Does this sound like anything that is actually happening?

I know almost nothing about ACPI, so I'll leave that someone who knows more about it \
than I do. :-)

> Thanks again
>
> Peeter

Glad to help.