List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    RE: format/newfs larger external consumer drives
From:       Andrew Duane <aduane () juniper ! net>
Date:       2015-07-24 12:34:00

FSCK has 5 passes, each of which checks a different "thing" in the filesystem. Each \
pass will depend on how many of those "things" there are to check. One checks inodes \
and cylinder groups, one checks all blocks, one checks all directory and file \
entries, and so on. So fewer inodes will help, but more files eat up the savings, \
etc. Some experiments can tell you how long it takes to check each and what the \
savings would be.

Also remember that each inode takes 128 bytes on disk. So a billion unused inodes \
wastes a 128 GB on the disk.