List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Re: cross installing freebsd?
From:       Matthias Meyser <meyser () xenet ! de>
Date:       2014-12-09 11:59:46

Hi

Am 08.12.2014 um 11:04 schrieb Garrett Cooper:
> On Dec 7, 2014, at 21:48, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org> wrote:
[..]
>> To be honest I have a gist as to what you're saying but I think the buil=
d is suffering from shibboleth-itis.  Meaning it's not serviceable unless y=
ou're intimately familiar with it=85

> Right. I didn=92t know about all of these magic things until I started re=
ading the Makefiles :).

>> I *guess* that ITOOLS or maybe LOCAL_ITOOLS means programs needed to ins=
tallworld/installkernel?

> Yes. Basically for things that can be replaced while make installworld is=
 run, or as Makefile.inc1 says=85

> "# Required install tools to be saved in a scratch dir for safety.=94
>
> All the libraries for the tools are backed up so if the tools get replace=
d while make distributeworld/installworld is running, your system won=92t b=
e hosed (that=92s why make installworld works for me the majority of the ti=
me, if cp gets replaced and ABI changes =97 not always, but oftentimes).

>> If so, then yes, makewhatis needs to be added to that.

The problem is that those tools are build for the HOST arch during =

crossbuilding.

I don`t know if a version for TARGET arch is build also.

The "right way" would be to to build these tools also for the TARGET
arch (if not done already) and to teach the normal "install" to use them.

- Matthias

-- =

Matthias Meyser            | XeNET GmbH
Tel.:  +49-5323-9489050    | 38678 Clausthal-Zellerfeld, Marktstrasse 40
Fax:   +49-5323-9489059    | Registergericht: Amtsgericht Braunschweig HRB =

110823
Email: Meyser@xenet.de     | Geschaeftsfuehrer: Matthias Meyser