List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    complicated dependency file generation and "make depend"
From:       Kurt Lidl <lidl () pix ! net>
Date:       2013-09-20 4:39:13

Greetings all -

I've come across a problem that I do not know how to solve.
(one of many, I'm sure)

In a project that I am working on, there is a tool used
to generate a few header files that are used when
compiling parts of the entire project.

This tool, itself, relies on some of the libraries built
in the project.  These libraries must exist before the tool
can be created.

I'm struggling with how to build the libraries and then
the header generating tool, as part of the 'make depend'
phase of the entire project.

I'd like to be able to just do "make obj depend && make all"
and end up with all the binaries, libraries, etc built
and ready to be installed.

"make obj && make all" works...

I mean, from a certain point of view, I know that I ought
to be able to hook into the beforedepend: target
in an individual Makefile, but I don't see how I'm supposed
to do that at the top level Makefile, which uses bsd.subdir.mk.

The top level Makefile drives the compilation of the libraries,
then the tools, then some more libraries that require the tools,
and finally the binaries that make up the project (which
require both the libraries and the tools).

Thanks for any insight!

-Kurt