List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Help with building private .iso media
From:       Patrick Mahan <PMahan () adaranet ! com>
Date:       2012-08-15 19:42:19

All,

Asking this here as I don't see a mailing list specifically devoted to build/release
issues and because I think it is a little beyond the standard -question genre.

Our product here is based on FreeBSD (currently FreeBSD 9/STABLE) and it has reached
the stage where we need to create our own .iso/memstick media to handle installation
of our appliances.

So yesterday, after perusing release(7), I cranked up \
/usr/src/release/generate-release.sh and capture the output to see how it was done.  \
And I was successful in getting the .iso, memstick and FTP site created.

So taking what I learned yesterday, I tried to apply it to our copy of the FreeBSD \
source tree.  Please note that we use the provided FreeBSD makefiles to build \
everything we just make heavy use of MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX/OBJTREE/etc environment \
variables to control where every- thing goes.

So today, I tried to build the world package by doing the following at the top of our
FreeBSD source tree (after doing a buildworld) -

  cd /usr/home/pmahan/work/pm_ipr/ipr/src
  export MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/home/pmahan/work/pm_ipr/ipr/amd64/obj
  sudo -E make TARGET_ARCH=amd64 TARGET=amd64 distrubteworld \
DIST=/usr/home/pmahan/work/pm_ipr/ipr/amd64/dist

It failed with the following:

find //usr/home/pmahan/work/pm_ipr/ipr/amd64/dist/doc -empty -delete
find: -delete: //usr/home/pmahan/work/pm_ipr/ipr/amd64/dist/doc: relative path \
potentially not safe

But when I check the logs for yesterday's successful run, I see -

find //usr/obj/usr/src/release/dist/doc -empty -delete
find //usr/obj/usr/src/release/dist/games -empty -delete
find //usr/obj/usr/src/release/dist/lib32 -empty -delete
sh /usr/src/release/scripts/mm-mtree.sh -m /usr/src/release/.. -F  "TARGET_ARCH=amd64 \
TARGET=amd64" -D "/usr/obj/usr/src/release/dist/base"

I read find(1) description about '-delete' and did a quick test that seemed to prove \
out that attempting to delete a fully qualified path seems to be a no-no.  But I \
don't understand why it did not fail yesterday.  I suspect it is pilot error, but I \
am at a loss to explain why.

Any help, steers, slap downs appreciated

Thanks,

Patrick
Patrick Mahan
Lead Technical Kernel Engineer
Adara Networks
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are solely the responsibility of the author \
and are not to be construed as an official opinion of Adara Networks.