List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Active slice, only for a next boot
From:       rank1seeker () gmail ! com
Date:       2012-03-27 18:57:46

----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>
To: rank1seeker@gmail.com
Cc: John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 21:28:07 +0000

> On 26 March 2012 18:10,  <rank1seeker@gmail.com> wrote:

Let me put it this way.
'boot0cfg' should continue to behave as it does. Exactly in this form, it is a \
perfect (almost) solution. This means that none of it's current flag shall be edited \
in terms of functionality, thus preserving backward compatibility with everthing.

So, on top of all it's code, we add just a 1 flag which auto selects boot \
option/slice, as human would from it's boot menu. Simple as that. We can call that \
                flag:
    -n nextboot slice
or maybe
    -a (auto)answer

On existing machine with active and booted, i.e; slice 3
# 'boot0cfg -n 1'
     Would upon next power on, instead showing boot menu, simply choose slice 3 to \
boot. Same result as if human would press F3 for slice 3.

Nothing more, nothing else. Simple as that.
It's indirect effect is determined by combination of other already existing flags, \
i.e; '-o noupdate'

In above example without '-o noupdate' it would also make slice 1 active.
Contrary to that, with specified  '-o noupdate' , it would boot slice 1 only once, \
preserving slice 3 as active (all furter boots stick to it)

It is now clearer?

Domagoj Smolčić