List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: I want to write a 64-bit version of the driver, the MAKEFILE on how to write?
From:       John Baldwin <jhb () freebsd ! org>
Date:       2012-03-26 14:21:42

On Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:38:17 pm cz li wrote:
> I want to write a 64-bit version of the driver, the MAKEFILE  on how to
> write?I can compile 64-bit version of the driver in the 32 system?
> Thank you!

Drivers generally use the same makefiles (if you mean a module makefile) for
both i386 and amd64.  If you want to cross-build a driver you will need a
cross toolchain (e.g. 'make toolchain TARGET=amd64').  You can then either
cross-build a kernel whose config includes your module, or you can do this to
cross-build just your module:

% cd /path/to/world
% make buildenv TARGET=amd64
% cd sys/modules/<foo>