List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Freebsd on the sun x4440
From:       Mark Saad <nonesuch () longcount ! org>
Date:       2011-05-30 23:31:18

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 8:47 PM, Erich Dollansky
<erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to suggest to try 8.2.
>
> It is my experience that the different version behave very different on the same \
> hardware. It does not mean that the newer version is the better. As an example, I \
> have a machine here on 7.x as 8.0 did not support the USB hardware found. After a \
> machine works with a branch, I will stick with this branch on the specific machine \
> until the end of support for the branch. This make life much easier and keeps \
> surprises away.

While 8.2 has some nice features we are sticking with 7.x for the time
being. Also I did not see any improvement using 8.2v.

> On Thursday 17 May 2012 07:34:50 Mark Saad wrote:
> > All
> > I am setting up 3 sun x4440 with freebsd 7.3 amd64 . The severs have 4x 4-core \
> > opterons and 128G of ram each . Once the servers boot they are a good fit for \
> > what we are doing and preform well . The odd thing I am seeing is a long delay in \
> > boot up . Once in the initial loading of the kernel at the "|" for 1-2 mins . \
> > Then again shortly after printing the kernel banner "freebsd 7.3-release etc etc \
> > etc" .  This delay is about 1-2 mins as well.  So my question does any one know \
> > what I could do to speed up the boot up ? I suspect the first delay is due to a \
> > serial  device probe the second is a mystery . also the bios load up time is \
> > about 5 mins on this box does anyone have any ideas on speeding that up ?
>
> Does this machine have SCSI or SAS hardware? If the controllers are there but not \
> drives are installed, a GENERIC kernel will wait for some time for SCSI to settle. \
> If you deactivate SCSI or reduce the waiting time, at least a part of the problem \
> is solved.

Its not SCSI / SAS probe time its well before that part of the boot up stage.
> Erich
> >
> > ----
> > mark saad

Anyone figured out how to add 6 more hours to the day ? I could use a 30hr day.

--
mark saad | nonesuch@longcount.org