List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: How to debug BTX loader?
From:       John Baldwin <jhb () freebsd ! org>
Date:       2010-11-30 14:38:52

On Monday, November 29, 2010 1:01:27 pm Darmawan Salihun wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm currently working on a BIOS for a custom Single Board Computer (SBC).
> I have the required BIOS source code and tools at hand.
> However, the boot process always stuck in the BTX loader
> (the infamous "ACPI autoload failed") when I booted out of USB stick
> (with the FreeBSD 8.1 USB stick image).
>
> I could get the system to boot into FreeBSD 8.1
> (by keeping the CDROM tray open and close it when the board looks for
> boot device, otherwise BTX will reboot instantly).

Are you getting an actual BTX error message or a freeze?  BTX is just a
minikernel written all in assembly.  It doesn't handle loading the kernel,
etc.  All that work is done by the /boot/loader program (which is written in
C).  You can find all the source to the boot code in src/sys/boot.  The BTX
kernel is in src/sys/boot/i386/btx/btx/.

However, to debug this further we would need more info such as what exactly
you are seeing (a hang, a BTX fault with a register dump, etc.).

--
John Baldwin