List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: sbsize - console messages
From:       Garrett Cooper <gcooper () freebsd ! org>
Date:       2010-11-29 22:06:46

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Grant Peel <gpeel@thenetnow.com> wrote:
> -----Original Message----- From: Garrett Cooper
> Sent: Monday, November 29, 2010 11:29 AM
> To: Grant Peel
> Cc: freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: sbsize - console messages
>
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 4:38 AM, Grant Peel <gpeel@thenetnow.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I orriginally posted this to -questions and someone there suggest I post
>> here ...
>>
>> I am using FreeBSD 8.0 and am getting lots of these:
>>
>> negative sbsize for uid = 0
>> +negative sbsize for uid = 0
>> +negative sbsize for uid = 0
>> +negative sbsize for uid = 0
>> +negative sbsize for uid = 0
>>
>> any ideas what it means or how to cure it?, or even how to trace it down?
>
>   Read limit under csh(1) or ulimit under sh(1) for more details and
> try to apply the change to login.conf and rebuild the database.

> Garrett,
>
> Thanks for the hint.
>
> I am looking through login.conf and from what I can see none of the defaults
> have been modified. Does this then indicate that there might be an issue
> with a process trying to consume to many reasources?
>
> FWIW I only see the messages occasionally in the logs and the console.

    Potentially, yes. The other thing to note is that the application
that you're using may be setting the limit via setrlimit(2).
    Flipping through the mbuf(9) manpage (because I had forgotten),
mbufs are zone allocated. The number of mbufs (which is related to
sbsize) could be better tuned by tuning the zone size, maybe... I'd
wait for someone more knowledgeable in this area to reply though
because my comments are merely speculation as I haven't actually tuned
the VM system extensively to improve my systems' performance as most
out-of-the-box settings work for me :/..
Thanks,
-Garrett