List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Summary: Re: Spin down HDD after disk sync or before power off
From:       Bruce Cran <bruce () cran ! org ! uk>
Date:       2010-10-27 13:30:44

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 15:04:39 +0200 (CEST)
Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:

> I'm also against printing a warning for values less than 600.
> If I want to set the value to 300, I don't want to be slapped
> with a useless warning.

Having just checked Windows and seen that it lets you specify a timeout
down to 1 minute with no warnings, I don't think we want to make it
more difficult for people to do the same thing on FreeBSD.  I don't
know if atacontrol already does this, but maybe we could have a log
entry, for example:

> atacontrol /dev/ad0 spindown 60
spin-down timer set to 60 seconds.

--