List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: WOL not working with 3Com NIC
From:       Stefan Sperling <stsp () stsp ! name>
Date:       2007-11-25 19:20:55

On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 04:47:05PM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 09:16:59PM -0500, M E wrote:
> > I am able to get "will wake on: magic", when typing "ifconfig" in
> > FreeNAS (built on FreeBSD); however, I am still unable to wake up the
> > box.
>
> I know that xl does not work yet.

Hi again,

I finally got my development box running again with the help of two
guys at uni (got a disk controller and a hard drive), many thanks :)

I've just woken up a FreeBSD-7 box with a 3com card successfully.
Having hardware to test with really helps.

The rxfilter not being configured correctly was what prevented WOL
from working with if_xl altogether.

Also, I've added support for wake on link status change.
This is currently used by if_xl only, but it's easy to add it
to the other drivers, too.

Test wake on link by unplugging the network cable before the box
shuts down, and plug the cable back in - the box should now wake up.
Quite a useless feature, but fun anyway :)

New patches for RELENG_6_2 and RELENG_7 can be found here:

http://www.stsp.name/wol/FreeBSD-6.2-wol-2007-11-25.diff
http://www.stsp.name/wol/FreeBSD-7-wol-2007-11-25.diff

Instructions here:
http://www.stsp.name/wol/README.txt

If you need other branches, please just try to apply
one of the above and sort out the rejects - I have no
time to maintain more than those two.

There's still lots left to be done, especially additional device
support. I'm also planning on getting rid of the "secureOn"
password stuff in ifconfig because few chips support it and
clear text passwords aren't really that secure at all.
This will also trim the ioctl argument size down from a
struct to a simple int.

--
stefan
http://stsp.name                                         PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0