List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    passwd(1) and PAM
From:       Jonathan McKeown <jonathan+freebsd-hackers () hst ! org ! za>
Date:       2007-07-30 17:18:27

This seems to be almost a FAQ judging by the number of open/suspended PRs over
several years, and the enquiry on this list back in March 2007 - but I
haven't been able to find an answer yet.

Looking at /usr/src/usr.bin/passwd/passwd.c, it seems that passwd(1) was
rewritten four years ago to use the PAM infrastructure (with options -l, -o
and -y not actually doing anything any more).

It seems to be prevented from using, eg, pam_ldap, by the switch statement
which uses constants defined in pam.h but commented there to be ``bogus''.

1. Is there any reason not to patch passwd.c locally, replacing the switch
statement with printf and a single message?

2. When is this likely to make it into the official sources?

I'm in a mixed environment and looking at using LDAP for account information
with pam_pgina for Windows users.

Oh, and if the answer is ``send a patch'', just let me know where!

Jonathan