List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: change control on FreeBSD servers
From:       Russell Jackson <raj () csub ! edu>
Date:       2007-07-19 23:48:31

Rogelio Bastardo wrote:
> I'm looking for some sort of change control  solution. On several
> Cacti/Nagios servers, I would like to take a snapshot of what I did, back it
> up, and if something changes, run something that shows me what files /
> permissions were changed since I last worked on the server.
>
> If it were just me, then I would just make copies of the files.  But since
> there are other people in there doing all sorts of weird configs, I want to
> make sure that I document what they did since I last logged in.

If it's plain text, stick everything in CVS/Subversion and use cfengine/puppet/commit-hook
to push changes out.

Cacti uses MySQL for configuration; I'm not sure what to do about that.

--
Russell A. Jackson <raj@csub.edu>
Network Analyst

Tonight you will pay the wages of sin;
Don't forget to leave a tip.

["smime.p7s" (application/x-pkcs7-signature)]