List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Possible way to distribute NFS?
From:       Ivan Voras <ivoras () fer ! hr>
Date:       2005-11-28 13:27:50

mike wrote:

> If someone could write an NFS client using FUSE (perhaps?) and have it
> integrate with memcached[1], couldn't that basically allow for n+1 scaling

I have had a similar idea to do in FUSE for some time now, but I'm
waiting until I can spare the time to do it and the FUSE system becomes
more stable (which should happen soon).

Also note that, if done with FUSE, it will be slower than kernel code.
Maybe not by much
(http://creo.hu/pipermail/fuse4bsd-devel/2005-October/000009.html), but
it's not yet clear how much.

The problem I would try to solve is that of having single-writer-
multiple-readers setup (writes go through one machine, get distributed
to other machines, reads can go wherever), and without using NFS (though
it's a good idea now that you mention it :) ), so it's maybe not what
you need.

If understand your suggestion correctly, all "NFS-like" traffic would
pass through a single machine, which doesn't sound good speed-wise...?