List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Request for a new major character device number
From:       Thomas Wintergerst <Thomas.Wintergerst () nord-com ! net>
Date:       2003-04-29 21:36:03

Hi John,

John Baldwin wrote:

>On 26-Apr-2003 Thomas Wintergerst wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I need an "official" major device number for the CAPI subsystem for
>>*BSD. The file "/usr/src/sys/conf/majors" states that I should contact
>>this list to obtain a reserved major device number. The device number
>>should be useable in 5.0-RELEASE and earlier releases.
>>
>>As You may have noticed by watching the the mailing list
>>"freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org" I wrote a package for CAPI support for
>>FreeBSD. For those not familiar with this term: CAPI is the "Common ISDN
>>API", the standard interface to communicate over ISDN with ISDN boards.
>>
>>The device number is needed to link the kernel CAPI manager and its
>>attached device drivers with userspace applications.
>>
>>Maybe Hellmuth Michaelis, maintainer of I4B, already sent out this
>>request. I am in contact with him to integrate the CAPI subsystem into
>>"current".
>>

>Well, current has a device filesystem that controls /dev and doesn't
>require fixed major numbers.  Assuming that userland opens devices by
>name, then you don't need a fixed major number for 5.x.  If you backport
>the driver to 4.x, then in 4.x a major number can be allocated.

Today I spoke to Hellmuth Michaelis by phone. He told me something about
how major device numbers are handled in current. I am relatively new to
5.0-RELEASE and until now did not see anything about current. So I
thought a major device number was still necessary.

I will change to current for v5 developement and so will hopefully not
need this number in this version. But v4.x will stay in use for some
time and some people might want to use CAPI for BSD with these releases.
So a reserved device number for 4.x would good. Currently I use 170,
that was unused at least until 4.7-RELEASE.

--
Regards,
Thomas Wintergerst