List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: HOWTO track resource leaks in kernel modules?
From:       Terry Lambert <tlambert2 () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2003-02-27 14:44:41

Daxbert wrote:
> Quoting Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>:
> > On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Ed Alley wrote:
> > >
> > > Re: Resource leaks
> > >     <HOWTO track resource leaks in kernel modules?>
> >
> > what KIND of resource leaks?
>
> I guess I asked this question of the wrong list.  I'm interested in finding dma
> allocs, memory allocs, and IRQ/IO allocs which occur during a LKM's attached
> life.  I'm adding the ability to detach if_de and was hoping to find assistance
> on where to look for resource tracking tools.

There are significant changes in the allocator memory architecture,
which you would need to address in order to find the necessary
statistics.  The code you would examine to see what you need to
look at these days would be whatever the most recent version of
"vmstat -m" does in order to get its information.

With that knowledge in hand, please see:

	http://www.freebsd.org/~terry/testset.txt
	http://www.freebsd.org/~terry/testset.tar.gz.uu

which is a set of test code that allows you to exercise kernel
code paths, and which will flag memory allocation leaks for you.

-- Terry