List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    HOWTO track resource leaks in kernel modules ?
From:       Daxbert <daxbert_news () dweebsoft ! com>
Date:       2003-02-25 12:09:44

Hi -

I was thinking about making some changes to if_de.c to support a tulip card
which isn't being recognized properly.

To begin this process, I need to make if_de.c export a detach function so it
could be unloaded from the kernel to make debugging of the module a little
easier.  I've implemented a detach function, which at first glance seems ok.

I've run an extremely crude test by kldload / kldunload in an infinte loop for
about an hour... and the system hasn't panic-ed.  And memory utilization doesn't
appear to have grown.  However, I'd like something a bit more accurate.

Where would I look for resource leaks?  Is there a library or toolkit to track
such things for kernel modules?

Sorry for my ignorance, but most of my Unix development experience has been
centered around apache modules.

Thanks,

--daxbert