List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: loadable aio
From:       Mike Smith <msmith () FreeBSD ! ORG>
Date:       2001-12-31 23:27:10

> > What part of searching a path for a matching file is "black magic"?
> >
> > Shells have been doing this for decades...
>
> %%%
> /*
>  * Load /boot/kernel/procfs.ko
>  * XXX: why does this work?
>  */
> chdir("/");
> kldload("procfs");

You should only need the last kldload call.  Any other magic is probably
left over from times when kldload didn't work properly.

> If that's not black magic, I'd like to know what is.  I'd like to
> refer you to the kldload(2) manual, but unfortunately it doesn't
> document how kldload(2) works. :(

The synopsis for kldload(2) should be "find and load the named kernel
module".

In essence, it takes either a module name and searches the "right"
places for it, or it takes a fully-qualified pathname and loads
exactly that module.  That's all; anything else is a bug in the
implementation and should be fixed.